Music Banter - View Single Post - islam
Thread: islam
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 07:32 AM   #1 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Default islam

hello friends

i come today to speak about islam. this isn't an edgy thread, friends. i have had friends who are muslim. i love muslims, and muslims love me. nobody does islam better than me. i sold an apartment to a muslim gentleman for 10 million dollars the other day, what's not to love? i dated a muslim chick for a while. she was pretty cool. the guy who ran the corner store next to my house in florida was also muslim. his name was ishmael. he was also pretty chill. ishamel is also abraham's oft forgotten son, the one whose lineage muslims believe the prophet muhammad descended from.

i know i have said some not so nice things about islam in the past. i have made remarks about their scruffy looking beards and their prudish ways. but this isn't a diss islam thread. it's just a general islamic discussion thread. i notice the forum subsection title has religion in it. i believe islam is a religion. thus i believe this thread is in the right section.

i was speaking to frownland the other day about the quran, and it reminded of the times i've looked into islam in the past. so i downloaded the first 10 surahs from youtube, in the format of an arab guy singing the verses in arabic and then an echo-y voice sounding guy saying the meaning in english. it's pretty chill to listen to. has a sort of meditative vibe to it. a sample:

the quran is pretty different from the bible, in style. the bible is a compilation of texts based on different oral traditions from different eras and religious perspectives. both christianity and judaism contain liberal sects that regard the bible as something written by man, and approximating a message from god rather than being the perfect, inerrant word of god. there are of course fundamentalists that take the opposite approach, but those ppl are crazy imo.

but the quran is a bit different, because the narrative is that the oral traditions on which the quran is based come from a single source. a single man's words, inspired directly from an encounter with an angel of god. so one of islam's main selling points is reliability. this is why a new book was deemed necessary by the creator, in their eyes. because the message god had given to the jews and christians had been corrupted by their own culture and politics.

so the quran isn't a narrative, like the bible is. it's more like stream of consciousness style **** talking by allah about how great allah is, how allah likes those who fear allah, how allah made a great universe and its evil forces that have corrupted it and lead to anything unpleasant, and a return to dedicated worship of allah is a moral imperative, and those who fulfill it will be rewarded with paradise, with oasis. those who don't will be tortured and punished x 1000

so anyway i was listening to the quran the other day at break... and for some reason i misjudged how far the gas station that i walked to was from my work. so i had to ask a stranger for a ride back.

it's the south, and so people are relatively friendly. and he gave me a ride. it was a bit awkward though cause i forgot to turn the quran off and my headphones were still going in my pocket. so in the silence of his car you could vaguely hear the islamic singing in the background. and i didn't even attempt to explain it away, i just didn't acknowledge it. but i wonder what he must've thought . anyone here that i mention the quran/islam to says "it says to kill christians"

any islamic thoughts, or thoughts on islam, my friends?

Last edited by John Wilkes Booth; 08-04-2015 at 08:59 AM.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote