Music Banter - View Single Post - Is humanity hard-wired for war and conflict?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #46 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

The point is beginning to get a little lost or subsumed in other conversations, which is fine, but my contention is still this: right back as far as human history has been recorded there has never, to my knowledge, been any era or even time when a "Golden Age" existed, ie all men lived in peace and there were no wars or hostilities, even if not physically expressed. Unless you believe in the Garden of Eden, that is. Even when not engaging in war, we've been eyeing our neighbours suspiciously, either worried what they're up to or gauging their strength in case we have to take them on.

Man is, and pretty much always has been, in a state of readiness for war, which is why it's so easy for our leaders to push us over the edge into conflict. Cries like "USA! USA! USA", "Kill those English bastards!" or even "Vive la revolution!" all mirror a constant keyed-up state Man remains in, like a coiled spring or a rattlesnake just waiting to be poked. Let's be honest here: it doesn't take all that much to convince us war is the way, and strength of arms is usually seen as the best way to win our arguments and get out of our dilemmas. Sure, nobody WANTS to go to war, and negotiation, sanctions etc are tried first, but really this is more because of the way governments know they will be viewed if they just wade in. I suppose in this way you could say Putin, though a grade A scumbag, is the most honest leader in the world, or at least what we think of as the superpowers, as he just went in and took what he wanted, and **** everyone else. He had the muscle to do so, the economic power to shrug off sanctions and respond to them with ones of his own, and his allies he knew would prevent any major action against him, to say nothing of the spectre of MAD hovering once again over the world.

Even if there ever was a "Golden Age", it was a long, long, long time ago and on the evidence of our recent (say, the last few thousand years) behaviour and attitudes, it seems unlikely in the extreme we would ever get back to that.

I suppose if, in the future, we ever evolve beyond the physical, become beings of pure mind (totally mental!) then we might not care about such trivialities as land, possessions, honour and religion, and wars as such might not happen. Or we could develop new powers and kick the **** out of each other with mentally controlled mind rays!