Music Banter - View Single Post - DeadChannel's Filmmaking Journal
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2015, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
DeadChannel
Music Addict

Hey everyone, sorry about how I haven't been updating this journal. I promise that I'll throw some stuff up about post production of Final Breath, as well as the other two films that I crewed on recently. Maybe some stuff about past projects as well. You never know.

Right now, thought, I'd like to announce my next project. I'm planning on doing a short documentary called "Where did the Dead Tapes Go?".

The Dead Tapes are, or rather were, a short lived garage rock duo that I got into last year. Together, they released some of the rawest, hardest hitting garage punk/blues rock/whatever that I've heard in a while. Between bandcamp, youtube, soundcloud etc, they released about enough music for a full length album before they vanished off the face of the earth. Not only did they vanish, they took down all of their social media. For a while, you couldn't find any of their stuff anywhere if you hadn't already downloaded it. They had developed a cult following though, and their music quickly began being shared among the community. However, it seems like Aaron didn't want that to happen, and started sending out copyright warnings to anyone on youtube who posted without permission. This makes me a little concerned about the film, but I think that I'm going ahead with it anyway. Better to ask forgiveness that to ask permission.

You can find a bootleg, with just about all of their tracks, here: https://www.reddit.com/r/thedeadtape...leg_15_tracks/

So, this is a case where there is an interesting story surrounding a band that I am a casual fan of, and no one else seems to be telling it. On top of that, I've been meaning to try to do a doc at some point, and there seems to be a built in fanbase surrounding the group, so why not, right?

I'm in the research phase right now, and I'm trying to get the ball rolling with fans of the duo. I'm also trying to find some of the missing videos, which has proved challenging.

Further updates pending.
DeadChannel is offline   Reply With Quote