Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Metal Albums you should hear before you die
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 07:24 PM   #179 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

100. Asphyx - Last One on Earth (1992)

**** it, why not? And #100, bitches!

This is death/doom the way it should be: crushing riffs, hateful vocals, and the occasional blast'n'grind to remind you that there's "death" is in the genre name. There aren't many bands that do this as well as Asphyx, and, so far as I know, none who've been doing it longer. Alternating between slow doom, mid-paced chugging, and faster sections, this is an album which becomes neither tedious nor samey, only bitchin'.

Integral to the sound is the production. I can't think of many albums that sound as heavy as The Last One (besides newer Asphyx albums of course), but instead of bathing in walls of distortion, like Electric Wizard do, they stick their distortion to their riffs like shards of broken glass, making a sound that is abrasive in a way that millions of bands would be ripping off if they had the slightest bit of common sense.

This isn't on the album, but it's quite possibly the greatest death metal song of all time, and I wanted to post it in case I never get around to this album.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 08-05-2015 at 07:51 PM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote