Music Banter - View Single Post - The rise and fall of musical genres
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2015, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindy View Post
Does anyone know what the current situation with EDM is?
In the 90s techno was huge, when I was in my late teens/early twenties it was all about Jungle/DnB and House. Last trend I consciously witnessed was dubstep.
Is there a leading genre nowadays? Or is it pretty much fractured by now?
Progressive house and dubstep seemed to have been popular from about 2007-2012 or so, but both those genres have given way to a lot of electro house (either the commercial radio stuff or the festival-type sound -- two very different sounds), as well as future house, deep house and trap. Deep house being somewhat of a '90s revival thing in some respect and future house being deep house on steroids. Maybe some trance too with artists such as Armin van Buuren, Gareth Emery, etc. David Guetta, Zedd and Pitbull do more house music, just to give examples.

I subscribe to over 20 YouTube channels as well as listen to other outlets such as Pandora, and I'd say that most of the genres are represented as if there's been no shift in anything, but that's from an underground perspective and is determinate based on my individual preferences and which artists I did or did not seek out on my own. When it comes to the mainstream stuff, it is more like what I mentioned in my first sentence IMO. If you're wanting an analysis by charts, I can respect that, but I never look at them so I can't give a further analysis based on that. I'd say that house -- when including all its variants -- is ruling at the moment.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."

Last edited by Aux-In; 08-05-2015 at 11:31 PM.
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote