Music Banter - View Single Post - Whaddya want?!
Thread: Whaddya want?!
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 07:28 PM   #241 (permalink)
TechnicLePanther
and the livin' is easy...

Stop your bragging and take this.

Album: White Light/White Heat
Artist: The Velvet Underground
Genre: Experimental Rock
Suggested by: Plainview
Familiarity: None. Never heard any Velvet Underground at all.

1. White Light/White Heat - A bit of classic rock style stuff here. Somewhere between Hendrix and T-Rex. Short, but I like it.

2. The Gift - Spoken word tells a funny little story, with a bluesy backdrop. Simple, yet effective. I enjoyed it considerably.

3. Lady Godiva's Operation - I love the guitar mimicking the melody. The album so far has had this glazy sound over top of it. It's good. Towards the end, everything breaks down. There's a lot of breathing, random mouth noises, whispering, and almost spoken vocals. The rhythm section just keeps going in the background. It's fantastic.

4. Here She Comes Now - Repeated vocals, and a bit of funky guitar. The rhythm section just keeps going. Short and sweet.

5. I Heard Her Call My Name - This one's a bit heavier, mostly from the distortion on the two guitars. The bass is all over the place, the drums are upbeat and pretty solid. The vocals are simple, but that reflects the rest of the songs (mostly). The distorted guitar solo is pretty warped for the time, with its squealing and odd melody.

6. Sister Ray - This one is really long. It's got a nice, rolling beat. Pretty good guitar stuff. The vocals are really all over. The middle key section is verging on progressive. Lots of distortion there. The guitar solo is great, and I love the way the guitars are used as almost a percussive instrument. This is absolutely awesome! It feels like a good jam band. Absolutely awesome closer to the album. Reading a bit of trivia, I found this: During the recording of "Sister Ray", producer Tom Wilson reportedly left the studio rather than endure the cacophony. Really good and cool stuff.

It's experimental, loud, and noisy. Absolutely amazing stuff. If you like anything punky or experimental, you'll have a blast with this album.

OVERALL RATING: 9/10

SUGGEST ME AN ALBUM - I'm probably not going to listen to it but I will if you bother me enough.
TechnicLePanther is offline   Reply With Quote