Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2015, 11:59 PM   #219 (permalink)
Key

Yeah yeah, it's not been a weekly thing, I know. Give me a break. Anyway, instead of doing a run on The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, I decided to go back and play the original Binding of Isaac. I'll tell you right now, it did not go very well, and i've been trying to play more runs time and time again, and each time, just doesn't go well. Unfortunately for the original, Rebirth is just so much better and it's superiority really makes the original a lot more difficult to get into, with it having as many flaws as it has. However, it being the original will always be a thing that it has to it's name, and will probably never be forgotten as being one of the best rogue-like game to come out. Anyway, let's talk about the run shall we?

My character of choice was...

Samson

Now, a lot of people know Samson for his ability of Bloody Lust, which is an amazing ability to have especially if you can someone manage to regenerate your health on a regular basis. However, that is a lot more difficult in the original game. When Rebirth was released, Samson actually became a lot more fun to play, because the Bloody Lust ability didn't just effect one room like it does in the original, instead it effects the entire floor. Now, if you know what ability i'm talking about, you'll realize that being able to take damage on the first floor with Bloody Lust in tact, can make for a very powerful and high damage floor, especially if you can pick up a Book of Revelations / Satanic Bible on the first floor, you're pretty much sitting pretty for the rest of the run. Unfortunately, that's for Rebirth. In the original Binding of Isaac, if you get hit on a room with Samson, Bloody Lust will boost your damage a little bit each time you get hit, however if you leave that room, the boost resets itself meaning you have to take the same damage again to boost your damage, unless you pick up an item that boosts it anyway. This almost causes Bloody Lust to be completely useless and less fun especially if you're used to the way Samson works in Rebirth, which I am.

Anyway, I managed to kill the first floor boss which was a champion version of Pin, and any version of Pin is pretty easy, you just have to know simple dodges and when to hit as many shots as possible to bring down the most HP, my reward for the fight was Pentagram, which is a permanent damage boost. It was nice for a while until I got to the second floor boss fight with Famine

I died in one hit, and that was the end of the run. It's unfortunate, because with picking up Pentagram as the first boss item, my chances of deals with the devil throughout the run were better than they would have been otherwise. I could have been overpowered by the third floor, but unfortunately i'm just not used to the style of the original game, and that's what caused my death.

I will plan to put more time into the original as it was and is still a pretty fun game to play from time to time. It's got its flaws, but it definitely still holds a lot of sentimental value to a lot of gamers, myself included. Hell, Rebirth would have never existed if it weren't for this game. Maybe. It may have still existed. I don't know.