Music Banter - View Single Post - The Wow I Can't Believe That News Story Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #2543 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk View Post
Hypersensitivity among today's college students

Stand-Up Comics Have to Censor Their Jokes on College Campuses - The Atlantic

Is it a backlash against people who find nothing offensive to find everything offensive?

Are today's 20-something set the most puritanical generation since World War One?

Does it just seem this way because of social media?

Is this generation simultaneously the most offensive and the most easily offended?
Honestly there's so many symptoms at play with all these PC-related college stories I don't think there's any one. Just from what I've read and my general experience here's a short break down of what I think is partial responsible.

Lack of maturity due to arrested development.

Growing up within an echo chamber of agreeing opinions because of the internet, i.e. I can cultivate an entire internet experience that never disagrees or challenges anything I think or say.

Outrage culture wherein if I'm angry then it means I'm paying attention and care more about something than you.

Entitlement. I dunno I might be stretching for this one a little bit but given how much university costs, there might be this sense of entitlement that things shouldn't upset me. The article kind of went into this a little bit with the resort analogy.

Honestly though, and there is absolutely no way to prove this in any way shape or form, but I think the worst thing the internet ever did was turn activism into just another fad.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote