Music Banter - View Single Post - What Game Are You Playing Right Now?
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #7816 (permalink)
LoathsomePete
Cardboard Box Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown Soldier View Post
I'm playing about an hour of it most days now and yes agree its probably the most immersive experience in the whole GTA series so far.

I saw that the developers want to base the next game on Chicago, personally I'd think it would be more exciting if they went with something different like a Southern city.

Thanks for highlighting this, I fancied playing this game some time ago but completely forgot about it until you mentioned it here.

As you say WWI hardly ever gets featured in video games, from the looks of the game cover is your character a French soldier?
You actually play as 4 protagonists throughout the game, but Emile (the character pictured on the front) is French. The others are Karl, Emile's son-in-law who get deported and then drafted in the German army, Freddie, an African-American living in France who volunteers for the French army after a tragedy happens, and Anna, a Belgian medical student and army nurse.

Anyhoo, been playing this all weekend because apparently I'm a 16 year old girl.

Life is Strange

I generally shy away from episodic games while still in development, however I had a coupon on top of a discount so I got it at a very good price. It's your standard Telltale episodic game, however there are sort-of puzzles in it and you can reverse time. That last part is very interesting because it means that whenever you have to make a big decision that will affect the outcome of the story, you can reverse time and experience what the other option could be and then decide from there. It's pretty neat because I can get an idea of what would be different if I chose A instead of B without having to replay the game or episode from the beginning.

The story is Juno-hipsterey as fuck and does a very good job conveying that teenage girls are nature's greatest monsters, but the mystery and plot are intriguing enough to make up for the high school cliches. I'm not a teenager anymore but I do think I'm young enough to have some vague idea of what they sound like, and to the game's credit it does seem authentic there.

My only real complaint is that the visuals can seem a little weirdly inconsistent at times with some things given a deliberate cartoon-y art style and others just feeling like the textures never loaded. Also while the voice acting is pretty decent, I haven't seen lip syncing this bad since Alan Wake. The character's mouths just kind of stay open and occasionally move up and down with no real correlation to the sounds coming out of the characters mouths.

If anyone male does decide to check this game out the advice I can give so far is that during a very important event in episode 2, DO NOT THINK LIKE A GUY. You cannot address the core of the problem, but rather the emotions surrounding it.
LoathsomePete is offline   Reply With Quote