Music Banter - View Single Post - 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die - bob.'s Edition
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
bob.
Still sends his reguards.

Thanks Exo

Dwarves are definitely a treat live....but i have to say that Zeke live....almost always ends in blood

32. Sparklehorse and Danger Mouse - Dark Night of the Soul (2009)

first and foremost.....i honestly do not think i would have ever heard this album if i did not start visiting this site

when i fist came here this album was quite the buzz....and at first listen i was really not that impressed....for me it took the perfect listening situation to really bring this out....a long overnight drive through the Nevada desert with a perfect BRIGHT full moon....the surreal, shadowed landscape along with the sensitive despondency of the music mixed perfect...and i must say every time i listen to this album the feelings of that night return

the vocal variety on this album really pulls it together for me...specifically Susan Vega, The Flaming Lips and Julian Casablancas....but the inclusion of Frank Black and Iggy Pop are also perfectly placed

33. Lana Del Rey - Ultraviolence (2014)

i can't think of any singer/songwriter out today that seems to have such a strong divide....and i can honestly say that before this album i though Lana was really nothing special....a great voice for sure...but...eh at best

it was Engine in the what song says how your feeling thread posting "Money Power Glory"....listening to that tracked peaked interest....so i bought the album right then....and again "It Took a Night to Believe".....i left Portland Or at 11pm and drove straight into Reno....about an 11 hour drive through the mountains....and listened to this album on repeat.....this one is much different than Born to Die....there is a strong noir feel to it....and Del Rey laps ups the femme fatale motief perfectly.....i fell i love with this album....a love i have not lost in any way shape or form....i love the vocals on West Coast....and the snarkiness on Brooklyn Baby and Fucked My Way to the Top....but it was not until i really paid attention to her writing on the title track...a song about being in a horrible co-dependent and abusive relationship....it wasn't until i really paid attention to these lyrics and stared to wonder who "Jim" was...when it hit me that "Jim" is Jim Beam ("He hit me and it felt like a kiss") and the abuser is herself...that this song started to cut me to the bone....shit i've listened to it three times while writing this review....i can honestly say that this song is up there with Kate Bush's Cloudbusting as one of my favorite songs ever

seeing her live finalized my love for herl....as Born to Die will be on this list and i'm sure Honeymoon will also

Last edited by bob.; 08-09-2015 at 12:55 PM.
bob. is offline   Reply With Quote