Music Banter - View Single Post - The rise and fall of musical genres
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 06:01 AM   #61 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNtrivedNiHilism View Post
Heard all of those songs already and a handful of others, she's one Pop artist I think is pretty talented and don't turn my nose up to if I hear a song of hers, however when you talk about her new stuff...wtf happened?
The video from that last song was from her American Life album, which had the unfortunate luck to be released just before 9/11, so there was a backlash that's pretty much kept her muzzled by her record company ever since, making her just a voice played over dance beats. The album right after that, Confessions on the Dance Floor was pretty awesome, but it didn't have a whole lot of personality from Madonna.

Quote:
Spoiler for iuhivudf:
Can I just say that I don't think that there's no talent in the Pop industry, because there is and I've heard it, I still hear it now and then these days too. I'm just so tired of Pop artist these days playing it safe, putting out albums they know will sell because it markets a sound that's ridiculously popular, but they're albums that are so contrived or mundane, and that's two big issues for me with Pop in general.

You know those bands I listen to Batty that you detest? I listen to them because I hear things from them that I can appreciate, like honest music, or music that has something to say, rather than music that talks at you because people want to hear a song that is upbeat or bubbly, or talks about nothing really meaningful, and you know I've always had a pet peeve with any song from any nameable genre that really has nothing to say, it's just words with no particular meaning with backing music that's just there to well, be there. I haven't been able to move passed that fact in regard to Pop, the music says nothing to me, how many songs do I have to hear that talks about nail polish, hair, women being empowered, so on and so forth before a Pop artist finally comes along and has things to say and doesn't pander to the popular crowd to play it safe?

Give me someone new, not Ke$ha, that you think I could get in to Batty. I don't care if it's bubbly, materialistic sh*t, just hit me with some Pop recs from this current generation, I've heard a lot of the old stuff already.
First of all, pop isn't necessarily made better by having something to say, since it's there to be catchy, and not necessarily as an extension of the artist's inner voice. Lady GaGa's first album was just a bunch of songs about her being a vapid party girl, built entirely around club dance beats, but it's still superior to her other two albums. Partially because she doesn't really have anything to say, and is just buying into her own hype at the expense of the simple, dance pop that made her famous.

And two, I'm very pick-and-choose about my modern pop -- not because it's contrived or anything, but a lot of it just isn't as catchy as pop should be -- but...

Don't know why this is listed as a Jessie J song, as it's from Arianne Grande's album.

Great singles, but her albums aren't entirely consistent.

Note: These are all British artists, so I'm thinking that American pop is currently inferior to the sounds from across the pond.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote