Music Banter - View Single Post - The rise and fall of musical genres
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 06:15 AM   #62 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
First of all, pop isn't necessarily made better by having something to say, since it's there to be catchy, and not necessarily as an extension of the artist's inner voice. Lady GaGa's first album was just a bunch of songs about her being a vapid party girl, built entirely around club dance beats, but it's still superior to her other two albums. Partially because she doesn't really have anything to say, and is just buying into her own hype at the expense of the simple, dance pop that made her famous.

And two, I'm very pick-and-choose about my modern pop -- not because it's contrived or anything, but a lot of it just isn't as catchy as pop should be -- but...

Don't know why this is listed as a Jessie J song, as it's from Arianne Grande's album.

Great singles, but her albums aren't entirely consistent.

Note: These are all British artists, so I'm thinking that American pop is currently inferior to the sounds from across the pond.
Well, Chvrches is something I'm really digging, sort of a retro pop outfit. Nonetheless I'm not finding myself irritated by tried and tired themes or predictability.

Batty. I understand what Pop is meant to look, sound, be portrayed as. I know the subject matter isn't meant to really be something that has a point behind it, lyrically I find that the words are jumbled together in not a random order, but not particularly in any fashion either, they're just there and I'd even call the lyrics a filler to be honest, as the music is the forefront or how it sounds is.

But just because Pop doesn't exist to have something to say, I don't get why a Pop artists wouldn't want to be known for the subject matter of their music being something meaningful, record sales and being relevant just mean more? It boggles my mind, because it's almost something I feel betrays the point of making music to begin with, like as an outlet for your inner voice and to express yourself with, but to be content with what they doing being mundane or vapid, it just goes to show me that maybe they take music for granted. Music is important for me to the point that I feel I'd not even want to be here if it never existed, so when an artists just pumps out music for the f*ck of it, they just want the fame and money, notoriety, it gets my blood boiling because it shows no appreciation or respect for music.

You're not the only one that is picky with music. Contrary to what you think by consequence of the music I have shared thus far here (you've liked a fair amount of it, but there's a lot you detested too) the music I gravitate toward is much more grounded around really actually being good. Beartooth is not an example of the music I actually listen to every day. Take me at my word on that.

In regard to those videos you posted...

The first one, by Neon Hitch, was horrid, sorry. She sang like she was wanting to sound like Britney Spears, or her voice just sounds like that. Either way I didn't like it.

The second one, that Jessie J collaboration, I've heard it over and over at work. It isn't a song I'd say that I hate, but I just don't think it's that good either.

Natalia Kills was probably the best of what you posted. I can't say she is anything special, and frankly none of what you posted sounded much different than Pop in the USA. Very similar or what you posted was a poor representation of Pop from over seas.

Last edited by CoNtrivedNiHilism; 08-10-2015 at 06:21 AM.
CoNtrivedNiHilism is offline   Reply With Quote