Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 06:16 AM   #2562 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoNtrivedNiHilism View Post
The Crusade I'd call growing pains for the band, they were making a shift in their sound and wanting to show what they were capable of, and I'd say they succeeded in making an album that was ambitious, but it fell short too, and yeah I'd say was a bit boring. Still. If I had to pick between The Crusade, and some other melodic metal outfits album, I'd probably pick The Crusade.
I think they were just trying to channel Metallica, but what came out was too watered down and dull.

Quote:
Give In Waves another spin. I thought it was their best since Shogun. Not as good as Shogun, but as good, or better than Ascendancy.
That doesn't make sense. How can it be the best album since the album it directly followed? That's like saying Master of Puppets was Metallica's best album since Ride the Lightning.

Quote:
You check out their recent album Vengeance Falls? Take my word and pass on it, Strife was about as good as that album got, but was overall a flat record or dull album.
I'll probably give it a shot one of these days, since every now and again I do have a mini-binge with Trivium (as in a few hours before I move onto something else).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
For Doom Metal this moves at a pretty decent lick, and I must say I really love it so far.
If you dig Paradise Lost, I'd give My Dying Bride a shot. They were part of a sort of "Big Three" of British gothic doom (along with Anathema). I've never been a big fan of Paradise Lost, but My Dying Bride are pretty excellent, though gothic doom isn't really my fave doom sub-genre.

Early Katatonia is also pretty similar, and better to boot.

And both of these bands lost pretty much all of their death metal influences with later albums, if that means anything to you.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote