Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 06:29 AM   #2563 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I think they were just trying to channel Metallica, but what came out was too watered down and dull.

That doesn't make sense. How can it be the best album since the album it directly followed? That's like saying Master of Puppets was Metallica's best album since Ride the Lightning.

I'll probably give it a shot one of these days, since every now and again I do have a mini-binge with Trivium (as in a few hours before I move onto something else).

If you dig Paradise Lost, I'd give My Dying Bride a shot. They were part of a sort of "Big Three" of British gothic doom (along with Anathema). I've never been a big fan of Paradise Lost, but My Dying Bride are pretty excellent, though gothic doom isn't really my fave doom sub-genre.

Early Katatonia is also pretty similar, and better to boot.

And both of these bands lost pretty much all of their death metal influences with later albums, if that means anything to you.
The did channel Metallica, which was a mistake. I tell my older brother all of the time how I think Trivium has been cranking out better music than Metallica has released the past, eight years maybe? I might be stretching how good Trivium is with that, but that's what I think.

And when I said In Waves was their best since Shogun, is that it was another album that was fairly consistent and more or less on par with Shogun.

No dude, skip Vengeance Falls. You won't find much on there that will hold your attention.

Katatonia? I started listening to them just a little before they released The Great Cold Distance (stellar album.) I for one think Katatonia got better as they go on. They may not be Death Metal anymore, but they're still great.

I haven't heard much from My Dying Bride. I'll check them out.