Music Banter - View Single Post - The rise and fall of musical genres
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 08:12 AM   #64 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Well, like you and I have already said, you can't judge a genre by the standards you would another genre. I look to metal for great riffs and/or aggression, but I would look for that with an artist like Johnny Cash or Townes Van Zandt.

You may very well already be aware of them, but for melodic metalcore that I actually respect, Unearth is my goto band.

I think you should delve into some pre-00s metalcore, as it's vastly superior to the later bands. A lot different sounding, since it was a movement coming from hardcore and post-hardcore bands rather than metal ones.

Deadguy - Doom Patrol

These are more like proto-metalcore/hardcore bands.

Ringworm - The Sickness

Integrity - Heaven's Final War

I don't mean they're better creatively, just that I find them to be catchier pop songs than anything I'm hearing from American pop artists.

If you want a more creative pop artists, then I'd suggest M.I.A.. She's got a sound somewhere in-between pop, rap, club music, and some kind of bastard combo of tribal beats. Can't really compare her to anything else going on TBH.

There's been times that I have judged another genre based on the standards of another I view as superior, but yeah I've said that it shouldn't be done. Frustration toward artists seeming to focus less on creativity or standing out drives my impulse to judge that way.

What I've listened to of pre 00's Metalcore, and I'll be honest that there hasn't been a lot of it and it came out at a time that I wouldn't gravitate all that much toward your more aggressive vocals as well, at one point of my musical evolution, I looked down on bands that had vocalists that screamed or growled throughout an album, because melody is such an important thing for me in the music that I like. Obviously now it isn't so much the case, the whole not liking or favoring vocals like that, because there's Trivium, Lamb of God, August Burns Red, Unearth, Protest The Hero, Paradise Lost, Whitechapel, I listen to all of those bands now and 15 or more years ago I wouldn't have given them the time of day, but I was a lot more ignorant or unaware of how good the music could actually be too.

I listen to Unearth, as mentioned already. I had heard of Poison The Well, heard a song or four from Converge, but I cannot say that I have heard anything from those other bands you posted, but I liked pretty much each of those songs too, especially found myself drawn to Converge, I really liked that imperfect, raw and aggressive sound in that one song posted.

Oh, and M.I.A....

I thought the music was pretty strange, didn't hate it though. I might look more in to her stuff to find if I'd like more of it, certainly isn't typical.