Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 08:24 AM   #2565 (permalink)
CoNtrivedNiHilism
Because I Am, I Can!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I'd rather listen to plenty of Trivium than I would anything Metallica has released since AJFA. Shogun is certainly a better album than anything from The Black Album on.

I'm just not a fan of their alt metal/doom rock/whatever sound. I don't dig gothic doom all that much anyway, so when they throw out the metal I'm just left with the aspect of their sound I didn't really like in the first place.
Well my brother is a die hard Metallica fan who sees no wrong in anything the band has ever put out, he loves it all. I remember when Shogun came out, I went to my brothers place and put it in his home stereo system. He asked me what I put in, and I said something to the effect of "oh, just the new Trivium record. Metallica can't seem to get anything decent out so somebody has to carry the torch." He loathed what he heard of course, liked absolutely none of Shogun. But my brother is the type of person that literally thinks he only listens to good music and none of it is bad. He'd preach till he was blue in the face to someone like you why he'll always be superior to you. It's a hoot.

I get what you mean with Katatonia. But it wasn't a matter of shifting their sound in order to sell more records that brought on that dramatic, drastic change either. Jonas had something happen with his vocal chords and was told that he absolutely cannot do the screaming/growls anymore if he wants to keep his career, or something like that. So the band adapted a sound that suited Jonas clean vocals, which is a melodic doom type sound, similar to Opeth in some ways. I like that sort of stuff though so The Great Cold Distances appeals to me, as do the two or three albums before it.