Music Banter - View Single Post - HEY NOOBS! Want a band or song recommendation? Don't start a new thread-POST HERE!
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2015, 10:44 AM   #3630 (permalink)
RJDG14
Music Addict

Default Songs that sound similar

While there has not always been a copyright case, there are a number of songs that sound to me as if they have ripped off or been heavily inspired on earlier works (the similarity could also be a coincidence if the artist was lesser known). Below are some examples that I can think of:

*Daft Punk's Get Lucky (2013) sounds a bit like New Order's True Faith (1987/1994)

*The chorus of Ziggy Stardust (1972) has similarities with Stairway to Heaven (1971)

*The last song (forgotten name) on Veruca Salt's new album has a vitually identical melody to the chorus/instrumental of Host by The Crocketts (2000), although this could be coincidental as they were not that well known to an American audience, or most British either (Veruca Salt).

*Your Favorite Thing by Sugar (1994) is a bit like The Cure's Friday I'm In Love (1992)

And of course, basic 4 chord songs will almost always have a similar version on the market, for example, A, E, G, D (think I got that right) has been done many times.

Interesting to mention this, but certain song melodies from certain periods (over 2 years or so) often have similarities, for example those between the second and last example. In those cases, it could be either coincidence, or do certain inspirations take another band to copy another?

What are some other examples of song pairs which you feel sound similar to one another in terms of melody?
RJDG14 is offline   Reply With Quote