Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2015, 02:53 PM   #1617 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: If You're Feeling Sinister
Artiste: Belle and Sebastian
Genre: Indie Pop
Familiarity: Zero

1. The stars of track and field: Interesting for me to discover there is neither a Belle nor a Sebastian in this group. Also interesting, though in a different way: it sounded very heavy to me, then I realised I was still playing the Fear Factory album I had been listening to last night! Bit of a difference, huh? Now that we've settled into the right album, this is very gentle soft indie pop. It's okay but a bit weak I feel.
2. Seeing other people: This is better, more uptempo and with a really nice piano line. Quite boppy. Also very catchy. The instrumental fadeout is great.
3. Me and the Major: This one's very good too. Is that harmonica? Cool. Can't really go wrong with a harmonica.
4. Like Dylan in the movies: Great little bass line in this and again it's a very memorable, catchy tune. Uptempo again. Have a feeling the next one will be a ballad?
5. The fox in the snow: Not quite. Slower sure but not really what I expected. Nice song though.
6. Get me away from here, I'm dying: Very jaunty, given the title. Great guitar in this.
7. If you're feeling sinister: Oh but I really like this. Kids playing in the background? Yeah, like Mo, the laughter of children is like a dagger in my heart, but sure Supertramp did it on “School” so why not? Very folky.
8. Mayfly: Another uptempo, nice organ backing it. Also, nice solo on ... something, not sure.
9. The boy done wrong again: Not mad about this one; bit whiny. Violin is nice but it's quite depressing. Really brings you down after all the poppy goodness
10. Judy and the dream of horses: Picks up nicely with this closer.

End result: Pleasant little album. Wouldn't send me out searching for the rest of their discography or anything, but very enjoyable. Would probably listen to more (though not here).

So, Love or Hate? I'll confirm YD's prediction and give this a Love.