Music Banter - View Single Post - Have you ever had a paranormal experience?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 03:22 PM   #143 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
That's an interesting theory. Does atheism (in least in its militant form) drive humans to make their own secular paradises? China's current government would suggest that it least drives humanity towards a money grubbing capitalist autocracy lol.
i just dislike the dawkins-lead campaign to call being an argumentative twat 'militant atheism,' where as the militants of other religions are actual militants willing to resort to violence and/or the threat of violence in favor of the ideology in question

i think this is a rhetorical tactic that some of the 'new atheist' polemics use to present atheism as inherently more benign than religion... contrasting the tactics of let's say ISIS with the tactics of the atheist organizations that launch lawsuits to remove nativity scenes and **** like that

i think it's a bit intellectually dishonest... first it's using a misleading term like militant to describe just being opinionated and argumentative

but also, it attempts to gloss over or ignore the real examples of militant atheism that have existed and do exist, typically under communist regimes

do i think atheism created the incentive for marxism/communism? not really... i think the incentive stems from a dissatisfaction with the capitalist system

but i think atheism was seen as a necessary component of communism, primarily because religion was seen as an ideological threat. communism (particularly in its totalitarian form) demands unquestionable loyalty to the state. religion introduces alternative priorities for people. it introduces its own ideological dogmas. dogmas which aren't your own are especially dangerous to a state that is reliant on its own dogmas to maintain unquestioning loyalty

hence chinese can actually be christians... they simply must attend state sanctioned christian churches. christians that attempt to stray from this path can find themselves in the laogai.

Quote:
The story I prefer not, better a pussy than a fruit. I'll just say I heard a voice speaking, tuned to look at it, and saw a person I could see through, before they twinkled away and disappeared.

I was younger, but I have no history of mental illness or psychosis that I no of, so it scared the $hit out of me and I wasn't able to sleep with the light off for about a week or two.

Other than that mostly just stuff like Ki described, that would be the highlight of my encounter with the el supernatural, if it indeed it exists at all.
i don't know why you won't share the details of the story... based on your response about better a pussy than a fruit it sounds like you're worried about being thought of as crazy

shouldn't worry about that too much... people will think what people think. you should share it.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote