Music Banter - View Single Post - Have you ever had a paranormal experience?
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2015, 10:08 PM   #151 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wilkes Booth View Post
i know you didn't. i mentioned him because years ago he led the charge, calling for a new militant atheism. but by 'militant' he basically means relentlessly opinionated and argumentative.

yet, when we refer to say 'militant islam,' we're not just referring to hard headed muslims. we refer to actual militants, willing to take up arms for their religion. the same goes for militant christians, buddhists, or any other religion or ideology for that matter. anyone who's most extreme tactics in their arsenal of weapons that they will use in pursuit of their ideological goal still falls short of actual coercion is to me, not really a militant. but that's just my opinion.
that just makes him opinionated, to me... and perhaps impolite. not militant.

putin's russia is not communist. it's closer to fascist. so that is easily explained.

actually, at this point, it's fair to say that china is hardly even really communist anymore. they honestly seem to be veering more towards a fascist state than anything else, from what i understand.

and communism need not technically be totalitarian. but historically... that has been the case.

but even if it weren't totalitarian... marx himself wrote about religion in negative terms, as something that had the potential to prevent the workers from recognizing their dilemma and free themselves from wage slavery, being instead placated and distracted by supernatural promises
I think I understand where you are coming from, you believe that there is a strong association between atheism and communism from a philosophical standpoint.

I thought you might also be a Christian, and therefore prescribe to the "dark forces" theory that pedagogical Conservatives like Peter Hitchens & Pat Buchanan believe in.

Basically, they believe that the lights of liberty will eventually go out as Christianity fades in the western world, and that militant atheism & paganism, unleashes a darker more sinister power that its naive followers are unaware of. (Ie the rise of Nazism/Soviet Union/PR of China)

As a fence sitting agnostic it's not something I believe in, but as an ex student of history, bad $hit does seem to go down when pagan nature worship takes over, from the French Revolution to Nazism, interesting enough it was also the main driving force behind the culture war of the hippies as well, I'm sure its all co-incidental, but nevertheless, kind of eerie to.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote