Music Banter - View Single Post - Love or Hate?
Thread: Love or Hate?
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2015, 10:27 AM   #1651 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Title: I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning
Artiste: Bright Eyes
Genre: Indie Rock/Folk
Familiarity: Zero

1. At the bottom of everything: Weird start; the singer talking about a plane crash then it goes into an acousticy folk type tune, very uptempo, quite nice. Enjoyed that.
2. We are nowhere and it's now: Slower, kind of waltzy rhythm, kind of Country in style. Very impressed so far.
3. Old soul song (For the New World Order): Like this one too. Album seems to be mostly acoustic and with a strong folk/Country flavour. I hear harmonica, pedal steel, mandolin. Nice.
4. Lua: Totally acoustic, just vocals and guitar. Very low key.
5. Train under water: Reminds me a little of Neil Young's “Harvest moon”, just in places. Very nice little song. Great contribution by the pedal steel here. Gets nice and bouncy later on. Really like this. Excellent lyric.
6. First day of my life: This has the kind of halting vocal delivery that I've heard in the likes of Passenger. Kind of a little weaker than all the tracks before it to be honest. It's okay but doesn't affect me the same way the others did.
7. Another travellin' song: Now we're back on track! Love the warbling organ, the uptempo fun feel to the song. Female vocal here too, adds a lot to the track. Kind of like a cross between Willie Nelson and The Sawdoctors.
8. Land locked blues: Slow acoustic one with a bitter lyric. Love it.
9. Poison oak: One of the best yet. Superb. Such emotion when it gets going.
10. Road to joy: Superb closer; using the classical piece “Ode to joy”, and then titling it almost the same, plus using the album title in the song: pure genius! Mad, frenetic ending.

End result: Never heard these guys before but I am mightily impressed. Superb album, will have to listen to more of their work.

So, Love or Hate? This has to be a True Love. First in a while.