Music Banter - View Single Post - The rise and fall of musical genres
View Single Post
Old 08-21-2015, 10:59 AM   #136 (permalink)
Ninetales
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
There's also the, as you put it, tribal aspect, where it's considered "uncool" to listen to "old" music, and as everyone wants to be accepted, you get the herd mentality often in music appreciation, where I swear a large percentage of those who listen to today's music (sorry) do so more because it's the thing to do, the thing that makes you acceptable, rather than something they actively enjoy.

I was interested to see, when Ed Sheeran played here recently, of the four or so people stopped and interviewed and asked why they liked him, almost every response was "Uh, it's just great. The lyrics. The .... I just really like his music." Showing us that really (although in fairness these people were put on the spot, but still, if someone stopped me in the street and asked me why I liked my favourite band, I could talk their ear off with reasons) nobody KNOWS why they like Ed Sheeran, ergo, nobody really probably does actually like him, it's just a case of going with the crowd.
I see this more the other way, though. Like if you ask a handful of "young generationers" who the best band ever is, a lot of them will probably say the Beatles even if they couldnt name an album or a song or a band member.
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote