Music Banter - View Single Post - The rise and fall of musical genres
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 02:28 AM   #146 (permalink)
MicShazam
Account Disabled

I thought I'd chime in - not about the cultural context because I have no idea what todays youth is like - but about the original idea that people stop listening to new music at a certain age.

33 years (soon 34) may be not be much compared to some of the older/elderly :P members in here, but it's enough that my mindset has changed a lot over the years, and enough that I have seen friends and family change around me.

My sister who's a couple years older than me has retreated from mildly interesting music into complete blandness now that she's settled with a kid and a man. Nickelback, 'nuff said :P

My brother, a handful years younger than me, has seemingly lost interest in exploring and finding new music. I was shocked earlier this year when he casually told me he didn't plan to buy any music this year. He doesn't even seem to get excited when his favourite bands are putting new stuff out. It should be noted that he listens to almost everything under the sun, stylewise. It just seems like he doesn't care that much about bands he don't already know, all of a sudden. Perhaps it's no coincidence that he got settled with a girlfriend recently.

Then there's me; I'm still completely obsessed with new music and while I like far from all of it, my curiosity has not dampened with age. Maybe it will happen eventually? I don't know... but for now, the only change in my mindset over the last ten years has been that I've become even less tolerant about bland, simplistic stuff like they play on the radio.

Maybe all people become "boring" when they get older, maybe only some lose the desire to challenge themselves with newfangled sounds?

Maybe it has to do with becoming settled? I'm a loner who has nothing else to care about than my interests - that may be an important piece of this puzzle.

I don't know, but the thought of becoming one of those "back in MY day" types scares me :O

NOTE: I don't mean to suggest that guys like me who aren't settled and who obsess over their interests are losers. I live like I do because I want to and I don't feel sorry for myself. I'm not even sure I ever want to be in a relationship. Guys like me are meant to die alone!

Last edited by MicShazam; 08-25-2015 at 02:43 AM.
MicShazam is offline   Reply With Quote