Music Banter - View Single Post - The Philosophical Debate Thread
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 10:29 AM   #118 (permalink)
DwnWthVwls
Fck Ths Thngs

Nope, I'll go google it.

I quickly googled Lovecraft and found this quote:

Quote:
Now all my tales are based on the fundamental premise that common human laws and interests and emotions have no validity or significance in the vast cosmos-at-large. To me there is nothing but puerility in a tale in which the human form—and the local human passions and conditions and standards—are depicted as native to other worlds or other universes. To achieve the essence of real externality, whether of time or space or dimension, one must forget that such things as organic life, good and evil, love and hate, and all such local attributes of a negligible and temporary race called mankind, have any existence at all. Only the human scenes and characters must have human qualities. These must be handled with unsparing realism, (not catch-penny romanticism) but when we cross the line to the boundless and hideous unknown—the shadow-haunted Outside—we must remember to leave our humanity and terrestrialism at the threshold.

— H. P. Lovecraft, in note to the editor of Weird Tales,
on resubmission of "The Call of Cthulhu".[33]
I don't disagree with any of that, but based on what we currently know from science, that isn't how the universe is. If I found out today that everything in existence isn't made up of only the atoms which connect us all to one another I would no longer feel the way I previously explained. As for the underlined, we can already recognize the insignificance of our local attributes by studying many of the animals on Earth. I don't believe we have some greater purpose or that our existence is important.

I'm just unsure about what he means by any existence at all. Is it some philosophical thing where we don't actually physically exist, like we are just the manifestation of a thought?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphenor View Post
I'd vote for Trump

Last edited by DwnWthVwls; 08-26-2015 at 10:51 AM.
DwnWthVwls is offline   Reply With Quote