Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM   #11799 (permalink)
Plainview

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josef K View Post
I think the Drake album is fine, and yeah Shadows in the Night is perfectly okay - I'm a huge Dylan fan but I'm probably not going to listen to it again in the foreseeable future.

TPAB > Section.80 > GKMC - but none of them have ever been close to being my AOTY, although I completely enjoy all three.

I think Currents is... not good. I've never liked Tame Impala but I almost wish he would just go back to ripping off Lennon.

The Epic bores me a lot - the middle part is pretty good, but as a whole I think it's way too smooth and pretty safe. I see what he's going for but, as I think I've said before, there's no reason for me to ever listen to it instead of Pharoah Sanders or Alice Coltrane.

The singles from In Colour are fine. I've heard some people saying "Loud Places" is the best song of the year and I think that's kind of ridiculous, but like it's catchy and the backing vocals are pretty cool, plus I'm into the songs it samples.
Fair analysis, they're all pretty tame picks and I gotta catch up this year. However The Epic really did it for me, I think it was the Spiritual Jazz style reminiscent of Coltrane etc. that drew me in, and the long length feels like a plus point with this kind of music, very transcendent, a great musical journey if that isn't too pretentious. I just really enjoy it basically.
The overuse of babe/baby, the lack of any sort of discernible originality, the melodrama and the general sense of an especially heinous sort of hardcore vapid stupidity all make me want to jab my eyes out with a drill-press and then hang myself from the CN Tower with an electrified rope that sends shocks in excess of 10,000 volts through my body as I slowly die. While listening to Dream Theater.
Plainview is offline   Reply With Quote