Music Banter - View Single Post - Sounds from Innerspace
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 03:50 PM   #141 (permalink)
innerspaceboy
Music Addict

Default Bilateral Motion: Abstract Minimal Ambient Dub Techno

Last night around 9pm I saw a post from a fellow member of a music community I follow. It was a curious photo of an LP he was spinning at the moment with a minimal, text-only label which read, "Fluxion - Vibrant Forms. A."

From the color of the label and the sans serif typeface I hypothesized that it was likely some sort of minimal electronic music, so I hopped over to Youtube and keyed it in.

I was delighted to find it was reminiscent of Wolfgang Voigt's ambient, minimal techno under his legendary Gas moniker. Whatever this was, I wanted to hear more!

A quick survey of the artist page on RYM revealed that it was filed under Dub Techno. Where I'd previously exhausted all artists under the Ambient Dub heading (dominated primarily by The Orb), the highest-charting Dub Techno LPs were almost entirely new to me. A few names were familiar, namely Woob and Yagya, but the rest were off my radar. Jotting down the artists from the RYM top 10 LPs I went to work straight away.

The list included:
  • Andy Stott
  • Deadbeat
  • Paul St. Hilaire
  • Deepchord Presents Echospace
  • Fluxion
  • Monolake
  • Porter Ricks
  • Purl
  • Woob
  • and Yagya

I spent the remaining few hours of the evening compiling 45 albums from these artists - a solid introductory set to familiarize myself with the genre.

Today was spent taking it in - a playlist I've dubbed,

Bilateral Motion: Abstract Minimal Ambient Dub Techno.

Fluxion's Vibrant Forms I and II are excellent highlights from the set. Big thanks to VMD for the inspiration!

[UPDATE] I've been commanded to add Pole, Vladislav Delay and Rhythm & Sound to the list, which I'll work on this evening. Other recommendations are welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
You are to all of us what Betelgeuse is to the sun in terms of musical diversity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exo_ View Post
You sir are a true character. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You, sir, are a nerd's nerd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Monday View Post
Just chiming in to declare that your posts are a source of life and wholesomeness
The Innerspace Connection | Essential Recordings | Top Archives | Hot 100 Albums | Top 550 Artists
innerspaceboy is offline   Reply With Quote