Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2015, 10:03 AM   #246 (permalink)
Key

Let's Talk About...Five Nights at Freddy's
Part I: First game success

I would hope by now that we have all heard of the Five Nights at Freddy's game series. If you haven't, I would suggest playing the first one...and that's pretty much it. You want me to explain myself? Well, i'm going to.

So, Five Nights at Freddy's is a somewhat survival horror game based around a security guard watching over a "Chuckie Cheese"-ish restaurant with animatronics, except in this game, the animatronics come to life and try to find you and kill you. I love the concept, I love the art style of the game, and the voice acting and everything about it are pretty good. I won't lie though, this game definitely grew a lot of popularity really quickly especially with every Youtuber known to man playing the **** out of it. I can't deny it though, it's definitely worthy of the attention that it got. I don't think I've really seen many games go with a concept like this and actually make it work like it did in this game. I think one of my favorite things about it though was the ability to switch the camera views to look around the restaurant. Yeah, it's a pretty simple mechanic and i'm sure there could have been more done with it, but the way it was done in this game made my skin crawl a little bit because there was that chance you'd see this pop up on your screen:

The camera mechanic (at least for me) puts you on the edge of your seat from the get-go. It basically says "hey, you can see these animatronic animals walking around, but there's really nothing you can do about it." To me, that's just terrifying. I like to play horror games, and when horror games do a good job at putting me at the edge of my seat right away, it's a definitely two thumbs up from me right away.

Other than that though, there's really not a whole lot to the game other than just surviving as long as you can before the animatronic animals find you and get you. It's a really simple game like I mentioned but there are little things you'll find throughout the game like with the battery life of the building, to the changing cameras, that really make it something unique and somewhat fun to play. Also, do yourself a favor and watch some Youtubers play this game, and watch them freak the **** out. It's probably the greatest thing you'll ever watch.