Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 08:23 PM   #256 (permalink)
Key

Let's Talk About...Five Nights at Freddy's
Part II: Too many god damn sequels

I honestly can't deny the fact that the creator of Five Nights at Freddy's is a genius to make sure he can get every buck he can out of his...er creation. But dude, when is it going to stop? The first FNAF game was fantastic and was great on it's own, and then a sequel was made, and i'll be honest, I played a little bit of the second game and it had some evident improvements and it was somewhat of a better experience than the first, but than things just got ridiculous. I couldn't really tell how quickly it happened, but I was starting to see new Five Nights at Freddy games show up in the Steam store what felt like every week. After the second release, I sort of grew tired of Five Nights at Freddy's, as I'm sure most other people did. I was starting to see video after video from my favorite Youtubers playing the **** out of the sequels and just watching them wasn't really all that interesting. At that point, I pretty much had it with this series and was happy with the fact that I really only spent money on the first game. I'll happily continue to support the developer in his future endeavors, but he's got to let this train stop at some point.

The other thing I want to mention is the fact that they're planning to make a movie out of this series. Now, I don't really know where I fall on this idea because there's really only two sides to this. Half the people are thinking "jesus christ, this guy is just milking this idea until it can no longer be milked" and than the other half are like "this is going to be such a cool idea, because seeing this type of game into a movie could potentially do really well." I'm in between, I guess. Part of me thinking the same thing where it just seems like the developer keeps finding new ways to get people's money, but than the other side of me thinking that maybe the developer is really happy with the success that he's fallen into, and he just wants to do the best he can to make his fans happy (which we will talk about that whole thing later), and that's totally fine. He's keeping the fanbase excited and pleased, and I suppose that's the best you can do when developing games and making movies. So kudos to him for doing the best he can.

Now, let's talk about the fanbase of this whole thing. I don't think i've ever seen a fanbase as ugly as this series has created. If you don't know what I mean, just look at the comments in the Steam reviews. There's 10 year old after 10 year old basically poisoning the reviews for this game. There's also people commenting on the fact that the scariest part of the game is the fanbase, and not the game itself...

I get it though. The fans of this game really want everybody to enjoy this game, and that's totally fine. I've seen myself get overly passionate about a game that i'm playing and I just try to get the people i'm discussing it with to play it for themselves to see how they feel. However, I wouldn't say the game I was playing is the best thing ever created, nor would I think someone's negative opinion on a game that i'm passionate about is completely unjustified. There's just a fine line between getting someone to enjoy a game the same way you do and understanding that the people may not think the same, and then there's the side where you get really defensive about the game you're playing, and you just **** on anybody's opinion that is different than your own. As it stands though, the series seems to be doing really well, and it doesn't seem like the fanbase has really disrupted the developer from making more content.

So, I do just want to stress that I don't think the games are bad, nor do I think the developer is stupid for doing what he's doing. Hell, he's making more money than I ever could, so kudos to him. I'm just hoping he doesn't end up overdoing it to the point that the games become extremely stale and annoying. What am I saying? That's where they're at right now.