Music Banter - View Single Post - Billy Corgan: The Smashing Pundit
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2015, 03:25 PM   #9 (permalink)
Aux-In
Wrinkled Magazine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neapolitan View Post
What is "retromania" to you? As you said before.
Quote:
First off: why? and secondly how, a slow death or from instantaneous combustion?
I should have worded my first post better than I did. Since Corgan was referencing many different things under retromania, I am also doing so. Outside of music, there are other hobbies I'm into that seem to do nothing but recycle history as a part of selling new items. History is important. History is interesting, but not when it gets over-saturated and becomes the majority of any scene (this is what I think Corgan was saying with retromania and its affects on rock music).

Another example: Take the Pharrell Williams "Blurred Lines" case where he was essentially channeling Marvin Gaye's sound. Sure, he was inspired by Gaye, but Gaye is what, two generations removed from Pharrell? Why, then, isn't Pharrell Williams channeling Pharrell Williams as the originating source of inspiration? See what I'm saying?

Quote:
Now what is interesting about that video is that the band spliced their live performance into footage (which I'm guessing) of Woodstock. However the music seems mixed of various artist at that time with some post-Woodstock Rock. It has a retro vibe, but that seems to be the norm to me. Almost every band I listen has some "retro" sound they incorporate into their sound. I guess the question is when is it too much, and when does it seem like stifle creativity. Another thing to consider is that Retromania may not be the problem, it could be just the artist fails at creating interesting music even though they are relying on past forms of music. I don't believe that only new forms of music can only be interesting.
On the bolded, what was retro about The Beatles? Nirvana? Skrillex? Each day you wake up, you are in some way influenced by the past. You learn from the past. You build upon the past. Again, that's not the same as retromania. I guess I don't really know what he means by retromania as it's only a small quote within the interview. It's in video games too, by the way. Milking franchises over and over again. It's cool. It's fun. I even like it. But it's not revolutionary, which is the larger part of Corgan's points.

"All over a bowl of bitter beans."
Aux-In is offline   Reply With Quote