Music Banter - View Single Post - The Bitch Box
Thread: The Bitch Box
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 06:18 PM   #20770 (permalink)
fiddler
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
So you joined the military as a direct result of 9/11, fiddler?
As a direct result? No. It was a couple years after that I joined. 9/11 was an interesting stick in the sand to my teenager mind. Ultimately, though, the military offered me an opportunity to get out of a situation that I would have probably died in as a result of O/D or gangs or something else equally unpleasant.

I say that 9/11 was an interesting stick in the sand about enlisting, because at the time it was a very real understanding that enlisting meant war. At that particular point in time, when I enlisted, my recruiter told me point blank, no hold backs, no games, no B.S. there was an 90% chance of me being deployed. The way I looked at it, I could stay where I was and possibly die. Or I could enlist and possibly die. At least though, if I enlisted - provided I survived combat and such - I'd have more chances. Not only a career, but college, and ultimately a future that didn't revolve around the next score.

I believe I had already firmly made my choice about the military before 9/11, did it add to it though? Sure, it probably did.