Music Banter - View Single Post - Symphonic Metal
Thread: Symphonic Metal
View Single Post
Old 09-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
VEGANGELICA
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I can never get into this genre cause it feels like cut-rate classical music impersonations thrown over cut-rate power/melodic metal as gimmick. I've heard better things about Therion, but they haven't really clicked with me either. Same with Arcturus.

Maybe you'll dig this. Personally, I think it sounds like some band was drunk and decided to make tongue-in-cheek opera metal for a laugh, recorded it, but decided to take it seriously for some odd reason when they woke up.
Thanks for the suggestion!

I agree with you that Arcturus sounds like some drunk band that made tongue-in-cheek opera metal, and I didn't like it.

I went back to the "Black Symphony" and listened to the next movement after the overture. Alas, it had the main "Within Temptation" female singer singing some simplistic, overly dramatic pop-like melody over fairly uninspired symphonic music, drums, and "metalish" electric guitar. It sounded like a very repetitive piece from a musical: a mix of pop and elevator music. I didn't like it at all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2NPZVAxcwU
If a chicken was smart enough to be able to speak English and run in a geometric pattern, then I think it should be smart enough to dial 911 (999) before getting the axe, and scream to the operator, "Something must be done! Something must be done!"
VEGANGELICA is offline   Reply With Quote