Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 04:03 AM   #995 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

This must be one of the longest response posts I've ever seen in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
I generally wait till you've updated a certain amount of times due to my innate sense of laziness. You've been slacking though, so it's entirely possible I've let the thread slip more than I should.
Ok, I'll let you off the hook this time but don't let the line get too slack.

Quote:
was left off.

*searches metal albums from 1985*

I've never listened to Saxon's Innocence Is No Excuse, but I've never heard good things, so I'm betting that isn't in the top three. If it is, I'll have to run and check it out. Probably should anyway. I think the only Saxon albums I have on my hard drive are the debut and Strong Arm of the Law. Just wrong.
No way, as much of a Saxon fan as I am that album isn't good enough for a top 20 slot and despite some good songs the best thing about the album is its 1970s hard rock album cover, just the kind of thing UFO would've gone in for.

Quote:
Even if you included EPs, I'm going to assume that Sepultura's Bestial Devastation isn't much up your alley. I'm *hint hint* curious to see if you'll do an extra for them. I'm a big fan of their early early work, when they still qualified as a first wave black metal band (that album and Morbid Visions). If it weren't for Chaos A.D., that era would be my fav from the band.
I'll normally include EP's at the end or with an album of the band in some way.

Quote:
Have you already done To Mega Therion? Too lazy to check, but I know you love that album. Pretty sure you already did Fates Warning, and I know you already did Anthrax.

So, I'm going with To Mega Therion FTW. In the top three that is. I have no idea how you would rank all three of those albums. I guess I'd go...

3. To Mega Therion (due to the relatively dated sound)
2. Hell Awaits (cause Slayer, but depending on your perspective, it's really just a stepping stone)
1. Killing Is My Business (cause it's the most polished out of the three)

Honestly, I'd have to go back through your list, but I might just have to put KIMB at #1. Not as polished as later albums, but it's easily their most intense and pissed off. I see it as the spiritual successor to the "Metal for Metal's Sake and **** Poseurs!" kind of album that Kill 'Em All was. Just so badass. (I believe I mentioned some years ago that it sounded like AC/DC got so ****ed up on meth that they couldn't play their guitars without their fingers skittering all over the strings like pissed off spiders.)
Well you've got the top three there.

Quote:
Certain Megadeth fans (and Dave himself most of all) claim that Dave invented thrash, and while that's clearly nonsense, as it was a worldwide thing, I think it's actually fair to give him a disproportionate amount of credit for how at least a certain contingent of the genre evolved.
If you search on the internet 9 times out of 10 Dave Mustaine is considered the most important figure in the development of the whole thrash genre and any other names mentioned all have a Metallica link in some way.

Quote:
When you compare how Metallica changed after Kill 'Em All (more progressive and experimental, as opposed to just technical) with the early direction Megadeth took, I think it's fair to say that Dave had a very heavy influence on the Metallica's sound while he was still in the band (it's said he taught James how to play guitar after all). Considering how influential Metallica was to the Bay Area scene, and how influential that scene was to the rest of the thrash world, then it's not a stretch to say that Dave has perhaps a greater claim than anyone to developing thrash's early sound. Obviously it branched out so far from there that his potential influence became watered down, but still, I think in the early days he could be possibly considered the Godfather of Thrash. Maybe.
I already mentioned in the two Metallica album reviews I've done, how the best songs on those albums were the ones co-written with Dave Mustaine, which further enforces his importance in the development of the thrash genre.

Quote:
God damn it, why does Dave have to be such a fruitcake these days? I can deal with him being an *******, but I have a hard time being a rabid fanboy when he's a Born Again, right wing nutcase.
/end rant
That's what often happens When somebody becomes 'born again'.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote