Music Banter - View Single Post - sxe - straight ****ing what now??
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2005, 06:03 PM   #94 (permalink)
mannequin Republic
The Ghost of Tom Joad

"And that suits you. My problem is that you make the assumptions that SxEs immerse themselves in that culture because they're too lazy to assert themselves - applying your particular situation to how they should live to an extent. Just because they do something someone else has done, doesn't mean they haven't thought about it and decided it to be the best things by themselves. To label them a "conformist" in an insulting fashion is as much shooting yourself as it is them, because on a basic level we have all conformed and will continue to do so. It is who we choose to conform with, and how we choose to do it, that decides who we are."

First I never called anyone a conformist, that isn't a word that I use with an frequency.

Next you fail to answer anything I'm argueing. Every single person is different, so when you go out of your way to do what the group says is right, or what everyone in the group does you are being intellectually lazy. When you "conform" for the sake of conforming, you are doing yourself an injustice. My problem is not just with sXe kids (although I do take personal issue with their beliefs) but with every group in which the members feel they must be a certain way to be accepted.