Music Banter - View Single Post - Modern Post-Punk Super Appreciation Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 01:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Exo
All day jazz and biscuits

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
I'm trying..but This might as well turn into a "post-hardcore & post-punk" thread if we're going there. I know genres aren't mutually exclusive and I also group a lot of post-punk and post-hardcore in my listening. But let's admit most of those don't really relate to the original point of the thread, and I say that because I'm hoping to discover more from this recent "real" post-punk resurrection that I love so much (as opposed to the revival of last decade). Post-punk often being characterized by the prominence of driving bass lines, dark themes, melancholic tones and monotone vocals, angular guitars (also a characteristic of post-punk), and sometimes a more experimental, kraut or art rock approach as compared to post-hardcore. Then there's also the more jangly and new wavey side of post-punk with bands like The Feelies, Talking Heads...quite a big difference even between those two.

Anyway just trying to keep the thread focused, that's all. There isn't some hard straight line dividing the genres, but I'd especially call out Antemasque, Creepoid, The Dead Weather, Death From Above 1979, Drive Like Jehu, The Evens, Cheetahs, mewithoutyou, Shellac, Tera Melos, These Arms Are Snakes, Unwound, Wavves, as most definitely not being post-punk. I'm not familiar enough with the rest.
Like I said, not all of them are going to make sense to everybody. I really do feel that all the bands I listed have post punk influence in their sound even if they don't stick to that sound for an entire album. I also just wanted to start out with a general list of bands that people could look at and check out the ones they don't know. This site is notorious for genre arguments and I don't mean to start one, but you have a point in that this thread is about one particular genre so we can stick to the pure breeds.

Just curious. What would you classify Drive Like Jehu and Shellac as?

SUPREME POO BAH MODERATOR EXTRAORDINAIRE
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote