Music Banter - View Single Post - Rock Album Survivor
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2015, 06:34 PM   #45 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnicLePanther View Post
1. I put Funhouse on Blues Rock, and I took off the Troggs for the Stooges. I just think The Troggs had "Wild Thing", and that was their only claim to fame. Plus, I can't even find a full edition of From Nowhere somewhere.
TBH, I think the only reason I put them there was because almost all of the bands I had were some kind of garage punk or garage rock revival band. Garage rock kinda sucked at first.

Quote:
2. Take a band like Radiohead or The Smashing Pumpkins, who don't really fit into any other category. That's why Alternative Rock is a useful term.
Fair. I only hope that you'll find enough "alternative rock" bands that you can remove the Smashing Pumpkins.

Quote:
3. This is kind of a controversial decision, as like the whole situation with punk, grunge vs. post-grunge is a time-based sort of thing. However, purely based on their sound, I've moved Ten and Purple over to the post-grunge list, and I moved Temple of the Dog and Superunknown to the Alternative Rock list, replacing the latter with Badmotorfinger. I swapped Dust for Uncle Anesthesia. And I put Tad on the list. Please inundate me with more suggestions. Also, I will actively look for more albums for this one, so we can close it up.
I'd have kept Soundgarden at least. They may have been injecting some serious classic rock into their sound, but there was enough grunge there up until the end for them to qualify. Screaming Trees much less so, but I wouldn't change their album based solely on genre relevancy. I haven't listened to them in a while, but if Dust is their best album, then it should stay.

Also, lol @ ****ing over Pearl Jam. **** that band.

Quote:
There self-titled album, however, was released in '77. Just sayin'. If everyone's in agreement about Suicide, however, I'll stick 'em on the list.
All the other first wave no wave bands started around '77, after getting tired of punk, whereas Suicide started half a decade earlier cause they thought Iggy Pop and the VU were cool. Album release dates can tell a misleading story.
There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote