Music Banter - View Single Post - Yoko Kanno (The Anime Soundtrack Maestro)
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Default Yoko Kanno (The Anime Soundtrack Maestro)

Was reminded of her in another thread, but she's pretty fantastic. She composes music for anime soundtracks (maybe other stuff, but I don't really know) and she covers a surprisingly diverse spectrum of music, making it easy to listen to for people who might not otherwise be able to appreciate things like jazz, the blues, classical, etc.

A lot of her music sounds like a simplified stereotype of whatever genre she's doing, sort of like she's tapping into ingrained public consciousness of what they expect the music to sound like. She doesn't seem to really explore boundaries so much as boil the music down to its ignorantly assumed essence, but she reaches for a wide range genres that you would never expect someone scoring music for a TV show to go anywhere near.

Her most famous work is undoubtedly from Cowboy Bebop.

A bit of some kind of jazz with great energy.

Some blues with tasty harmonica.

Probably my fav series soundtrack she did was for Escaflowne, where she composed classical that even the most musically illiterate person can dig, with a concentration on making it work for epic fantasy.

Classical with some epic faux-Gregorian chanting.

Kind of like medieval music made by an orchestra.

And strangely enough, some electronica that almost sounds like industrial by way of dubstep.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote