Music Banter - View Single Post - What Shows Have You Been To Lately?
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 12:22 PM   #213 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Scorpions/Queensrÿche

Although Queensrÿche was just a shell of their former selves, it was a pleasant surprise that the new singer, Todd La Torre, filled most of Tates shoes. I say most of because Tate is a presence. La Torre doesn't have that presence, but he does have a great range, which he uses really well. Some of his falsetto screams were inhuman. No real stage show to speak of though but they did most of their classics, which were in my opinion, a bit watered down. With what they've been through as a band, it's not hard to reason why they're now an opening act. Still, I was impressed with what they managed to scrape together to keep it going.

Scorpions. 50 years of making music. I could just leave it at that, but it really wouldn't do justice to Claus and the boys.

I was a bit empathetic towards Rudy, since although he tries to diverge looking 67 with a bleached hair job, his guitar playing has waned a bit. He missed notes, pulled some sour bends, and did his best just to keep up with the songs he wrote some 20, 30, 40 years ago. Still, he kept it together just enough to let the rest of the band shine.

Not sure who that drummer was, other than looking him up just now and seeing he did stints with MSG, Dio, and Warrant... wait... Warrant?! wtf... His solo was pretty weak, and he embellished where it didn't fit the song a few times. Meh.

Matthius was a star. I've always loved his work, and he did not disappoint. You could see and feel his heart was in every single note he played, and without that, I couldn't imagine this band would be spanning 50 years as it has.

Claus, oh Claus my friend. You have a voice of gold. Every note was spot-on. You could see his age in his face and demeanor, but his voice has surely been preserved by the gods for the sole purpose of carrying on this legacy of music. If it weren't for this man, there would be no Scorpions. The range in which he has molded his style is the essence of what the Scorpions have evolved into, and it was a testament to the strength of their songwriting to hear him belt out not only the rocking tunes, but the flawlessness of the well known ballads, just as if he'd recorded them yesterday. I started my concert going journey 32 years ago with that voice in my head, and it seems to me in a surrealistic way that my concert going journey has come back to port.

Some crappy pics: