Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 09:39 AM   #293 (permalink)
Key

As horror month is reaching it's end, I still have a lot of stuff I'd like to talk about. Perhaps I'll keep posting horror related things in October, but it won't necessarily be on a schedule as things have been this month. One thing I would really like to talk about is some of the more creepy and depressing moments that you can find in video games. These aren't strictly from horror games, but I feel like this type of thing fits into horror month quite nicely. And yes, the picture I used above is of Tenpenny Tower, shut up.

Anyway, coincidentally, the first thing I'd like to talk about is finding the remains of the White House in Fallout 3:

Fallout 3 continues to make a good impression on me the more I play it. I haven't been playing too much of it recently, but i'm finding myself wanting to play it again, and it's a lot of fun. The reason I wanted to put this here is because it showcases how Bethesda have gone about making a post-apocalyptic Washington DC. There's a lot of things in the game that you'd find that showcase their brilliance, but the fact that the White House is basically...gone, it really adds a sort of depressing feeling to the rest of the game. Knowing that the government no longer exists to wondering how the survivors felt when they realized that one of the most famous buildings in DC is now in ruins. Just thinking about it gives me the chills. They probably could have done more with the White House in this game, but for what it's worth, it's still creepy.

Onto the next game, one we have been talking about a lot this month, but I haven't really touched on one of the creepiest things in the game...the hospital, known as Mount Massive Asylum:

If you've never played Outlast, basically Mount Massive Asylum is where all the **** goes down in the game. It's your place for exploration and terror. When I first played this game, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I started. All I knew about the game is that it's meant to be scary, but I knew nothing of the story or where the game took place. When the camera shows the asylum in close distance, and the only way to walk was towards the asylum, I instantly felt a sense of "oh crap, this is where I die". The game itself is terrifying on it's own, but add in the fact that you're exploring an abandoned mental asylum just makes things so much more terrifying. Makes you wonder what the hospital was like when it wasn't infested with disgusting and ****ed up characters.

Here's another game that isn't exactly part of the horror genre, but it really hit me hard when this happened:

If you're unaware of what this screen cap, well...unfortunately for you, you've never played Dishonored. Basically what happens here is the beginning of the game where you're being falsely accused of murder. Unfortunately you're unable to prove your innocence and you go through the entire game either trying to prove your innocence, or wreak havoc on all that have wronged you. The reason i'm mentioning this is because when I played this game for the first time, I didn't even know what to expect. To find that the story is based on a falsely accused murder caught me off guard, and really got me into the game right away. It had no BS, it put you right into your role and made you figure out how you wanted to play. Fun game if you're ever interested. Great story too.

Anyway, that'll be all for that as I can't really think of more to put in here. Who knows, maybe i'll think of more in October and there'll be a part II. For now, this is the second to last entry for Horror month, and the last entry will be up tomorrow.