Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 12:44 PM   #2778 (permalink)
Wpnfire
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
No offence, but they call me narrow-minded? You literally like nothing else about Sabs? Not the lyrics, not the vocals, not the themes, the image, Geezer Butler's thick bass, Iommi's occasional keyboard work? That seems a terribly one-dimensional way to look at a band, and I honestly can't understand how anyone could say there is only one single thing about a band they like. Each to his own of course, and you're entitled to your opinion, but I've never heard a more restricted view of a band, never mind such an important and revered one.
The atmosphere/emotions/moods that music evokes is pretty much the sole reason I listen to music, and all of my favorite Sabbath songs are my favorites because of Iommi's playing. Iommi's guitar tone, especially on Paranoid, is one of the most nihilistic yet somehow also badass things ever. "Iron Man" is simultaneously moody with those bizzare opening notes, and turns completely around to an incredibly badass song when that riff comes in. Maybe I was exaggerating a little bit with the "only" comment because to be fair, the entire band mechanic changed when Dio came in and everybody started playing a little differently. Also, I don't know if you've listened to Dopesmoker from my top 10 yet but that's another album where if the guitar tone wasn't as massive the album would be much less good.

I don't know if this post answers your questions but those are my thoughts.
Wpnfire is offline   Reply With Quote