Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2015, 10:15 PM   #297 (permalink)
Key

Part I: Pets

There will soon be a part II for this as I want to focus solely on pets from video games, but I do know that there are countless followers from video games that are worth mentioned. Don't worry, i'll get to them too.

We all know by now that in video games, companions can either be the best...or the worst part of a video game. And I don't mean worst in the sense that they're not great to have around, I mean more in the sense that they're annoying and don't do anything to help out. Fortunately, I've had more experiences with companions that turned out good more often than I have with the opposite. So let's talk about some.

Dogmeat from Fallout 3

It's pretty shocking to me that throughout all the Fallout 3 talk that I've been doing lately, I haven't really touched on one of the coolest parts of the game, having a dog companion. I don't know if it's the same for everybody, but I first found Dogmeat on accident as I was walking through a junk yard. I heard something whining and was curious of what the sound was and out comes running a dog. My first instinct was to shoot at it because I thought it was hostile, but thankfully a dialogue box showed up before I took the shot. I found myself loving the idea of having a dog alongside me because the wasteland felt extremely lonely up until that point. It's also really nice when you get the "Puppies!" perk because you can basically go forever without having to worry about losing a dog. The perk will give you the ability to spawn a new Dogmeat puppy if your current one dies. I wish that Bethesda would have gone with the companion idea that they went with in Fallout: New Vegas where your companion doesn't actually die, it becomes unconscious for a little while. But...it's still really nice to have a dog in the game. Gives your player something to care for except for yourself. Plus, it's just so gosh darn cute.

Next up, we have another dog companion, but this was one of the first experiences with traveling through a game world with a dog:

Dog from Fable II

So, this was the first time in the Fable series that the players were allowed to have a pet alongside you in your adventure. It was such a cool idea and I was so happy to see it work well in game. As the game hours started to rank up, the more attached I became of my little doggy pet. And it was just so much fun to have him around. Once again, in this type of game, it just gave you something else to care for, other than yourself, and that always felt really good. It also allowed you to get away from the seriousness of the game and just have a good time with your trusted companion. Certainly one of the best things that ever happened with the Fable series, even if the Fable series in it's current state isn't that great.

Pet cat from Runescape

Although Runescape has become completely forgotten in my mind, I still have fond memories of getting my first cat pet in game. It was actually the first time in video game history that I ever had a pet, and that made it even more difficult for me to finally decide to quit playing the game as it was become more of a sickness than anything. Although my account today has been left abandoned, whenever I feel a sudden urge to just check my account, I always know that my little cat friend will be sitting there in my bank as it has been doing for the past 10+ years. It's still one of the fondest memories I have of the game, seeing it grow up and fishing for raw fish to feed him, but unfortunately, the game has evolved to a point that I really see no point in playing it anymore, thus causing me to abandon the first game pet I ever had, which is a shame, but things happen.

Rex from Fallout: New Vegas

I've been watching Northernlion play Fallout: New Vegas a lot recently. Unfortunately, that means I really don't have a lot of playtime in the game myself, but I do own it, so I guess that counts. One of the coolest things in the game is the fact that eventually, you get Rex as a companion. Basically, he is exactly as he looks. He's part dog, part cyborg. From what i've seen, he can be extremely helpful in combat, and since Bethesda reworked the companion idea a little bit in the game, Rex never actually dies, not like Dogmeat does in Fallout 3. I feel like if I were to play through this game myself, I'd definitely want to be sure that Rex is with me at all times.

That'll be all for now, but i'm sure there's a lot that i'm missing. And once I think of more, i'll post them. As I always do.