Music Banter - View Single Post - Kiiii's Arcade
Thread: Kiiii's Arcade
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 12:16 PM   #298 (permalink)
Key

Part II: Humans

Yesterday we talked about companions (specifically pets / animals) in video games and how sometimes it's just better to have them with you instead of not having them with you. Today, we're going to talk about human companions that you can find in your travels in video games. There's a lot that I can put into this post, but I'm gonna have to split it up into different parts if I want to get through all the ones that I have on my mind. So let's get started then.

Kreia from Knights of the Old Republic II

Of course I have to put at least one of the companions found in the KOTOR games and I decided to choose the one that I feel had one of the best backstories in the entire game series. Kreia (or as you find out later, Darth Traya) is the first companion that you have team up with you when you start KOTOR II. She's a unique companion in the sense that she doesn't seem to have her influence effected in any way (in terms of aiming towards light side or dark side), but she does end up having one of the strongest bonds with your character over any other companion in the game. Some think that she's completely useless because of the fact that she loses one of her hands early in the game and she can't wield two weapons at a time like the other companions, but I always had a bit of comfort knowing she was in my team based solely on the fact that I always wanted to create a bond strong enough for her to describe her back story in detail. Definitely one of my favorite human companions in a video game.

Elizabeth from Bioshock: Infinite

Some find her annoying, some find her useless, and some find her voice acting to be atrocious. Honestly, I can sort of understand where people come from with those complaints, but I always found her to be there just solely for the story and not really much else. She does come in handy when you need locks picked and whatnot, but other than that, she's just a random voice that never really seems to do much more than make sure you don't die. I do like the fact that she throws you health and ammo whenever you need it. Not one of the strongest or most interesting human companions in a video game, but it made the story really interesting and still one of the best games i've ever played.

Cortana from Halo (series)

I know there are different variations of Cortana throughout the Halo series, so I just decided to talk about Cortana in general instead of trying to pin point each and every game. I remember my first experience with Halo was awesome, and part of that was because of Cortana. She added great dialogue and made for some great commentary between Master Chief and her. It's always interesting to think about the fact that she was basically living in your helmet the entire time, but I always felt like the game would have been extremely boring without her help.