Music Banter - View Single Post - Is classical music still relevant today?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #164 (permalink)
Tristan_Geoff
midnite roles around

Yeah, but what the gold standard is to some is very different to others. Personally, I don't really care for virtuosity if it's used pretentiously, which is my main problem with band geeks at school and some metal. Take a thrash metal shredder for instance. When I hear that for like two minutes, all I can think of is some loser metal burnout sitting in his mom's basement doing air guitar along with it. Orchestral gives the image of some snobby musicians talking about music theory and how rock bands are talentless because they don't know it.

Take Throbbing Gristle for example. Their music is generally seen as gold in sense of industrail and post-punk. To a classical music listener, most of the time it's regerded as complete trash.

The standard changes with the listener. I enjoy a lot of kinds of music, and yeah, I can appreciate some classical. I wouldn't go out of my way to listen to it (right now at least), but I also listen to artists like Merzbow and Sunn O))) that may not be seem as musically... good to most.
Tristan_Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote