Music Banter - View Single Post - My music taste is narrowing as I get older
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 02:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

It's absolutely the reverse with me. When in my teens/twenties I got into certain genres (prog, metal, rock) and more or less stuck with those. At one point I had a CD shelf of about 200 discs, probably from about maybe less than 100 bands/artistes, which I listened to in rotation and nothing else. When one of my favourite artistes (Springsteen, Waits, Bob Seger, Dan Fogelberg, Marillion, Genesis, Supertramp etc etc etc) brought out a new album I'd buy it, but other than that I did not explore or look for new music.

Since joining MB I've been forcibly marched down dark alleyways of which I will not speak, and have developed a newfound enthusiasm for some really different music. Many here will tell you I'm still an old stick-in-the-mud (with the emphasis on "old") but I've opened myself to such music as death metal, black metal, gothic country, indie, folk, electronica (very little but still) and other genres and subgenres I never would have expected to try. Thanks to the guys here I've found a lot of really great music (and experienced some right crap) and it has helped to broaden my very limited horizons and musical knowledge.

You kind of sound to me like the guy in the nineteenth century who resigned form the Patents Board because he said, and I quote, "Everything that will ever be invented has been invented." That's probably on his tombstone. Don't be that guy: open your mind and your ears, and look for help here. There are a lot of really great authorities on everything from jazz fusion to Norwegian noseflute music: you'll definitely find something you liked that you possibly did not even know existed before, if you trust these guys, and that is a cast-iron promise.