Music Banter - View Single Post - My music taste is narrowing as I get older
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2015, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by airamitsukifan View Post
When I was a teenager, I liked pretty much everything that was playing on MTV.

When I was about 20, I became more selective and I started to take music more seriously. I stopped listening to random song and started to listen to full albums, and I started to research about several music styles and music from several epochs.

Now I'm 25, and in five years I got sick of most of the music that I listened to. I used to have 70 GB of music, now I have 13 GB, and I believe these 13 GB are the music that I will listen to forever, because I just can't get sick of it.
I think the fact that there music out there you don't like but gave it a try would make you a better music critic, than someone say who avoids giving new a try.

Quote:
I'm not narrow-minded, purist or anything like that. Every week I take some time to discover new music in several websites (All Music, Pitchfork, NME, Discogs, Last FM, etc.) and sometimes I make long lists with 50-60 band names, and in the end I only like 2 or 3 at best, if any.
I say find finding two or three bands out of fifty is about right. If you feel like you hitting a dead end with those magazines then ditch them. If you feel those two or three bands are worth the trouble then keep reading them. You'll after a while finding two or three bands here and there starts to adds up. I only keep a running list of bands I am interested that I recently discovered. And after that list growing from adding a band here and there, I begin to realize I don't have time to listen to every on that list.

Quote:
I don't know if music is really getting worse or it's just me. I don't want to have just OK music around me. Why should I listen to average music (or slightly above average) if I can listen to great music? I don't think that I should lower my standards. But it's not that I deliberatedly became "demanding" and started to narrow my listens, it just happened for some reason, and I can't get along with average music.
I don't worry if my taste in music is narrow or not, it's all relative imo. My taste is probably broader than some and narrower than others.

I don't expect to like everything I hear. Sometimes it seems like I'll never find a new favorite band or even a band I like, but then it seems so easy once I find them. But I don't find a bunch of bands every single day that are earth-shattering amazing. If I find only a handful of bands I really like, then I find a handful.

Quote:
Maybe it's because I'm getting older and I don't know what's cool (I doubt that), but it's just my opinion about the current state of music. Do you guys feel the same way?
My advice don't worry what's cool and what isn't. Jazz, and early Rock and Roll was seen as cool by people who liked it. But it was ripped on by its critics, and even hated. There are a lot of opinions about music, and you have to take that stuff with a grain of salt. If someone doesn't like the Jazz I don't - not my problem. I'm not listening to music to seek in order to gain approval from other people.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote