Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #2871 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Killing machine/Hell bent for leather --- 1978/1979

While US fans will always know it by the latter name, Priest's fifth album came out under the name of Killing machine over here. You can see, I suppose, why CBS in America was concerned about an album with the UK title, having recently been through a lawsuit that alleged the band's culpability in the suicide of two guys. Though that suit was dismissed, the stigma no doubt hung over the band and they may have been gaining a reputation for being reckless about their lyrics, so to title an album Killing machine might have been a step too far for the touchy-feely American market. Over here, we lapped it up. Maiden had Killers, or soon would have, and English audiences were used to, or becoming used to, the often explicit imagery in Metal. With only the likes of Zep, Purple and BOC to draw their experiences from --- none of whom had really what could be called violent overtones --- a band like Priest was something of a culture shock to America, and they reacted as they usually do, by ensuring the offending article was either banned, protested against or watered down, in this case the last.

But whichever title means the most to you, whichever side of the water you're on, this was the album where Priest ditched entirely the progressive rock influences, and started writing much shorter and tighter songs. They also adopted the leather-and-studs image now forever identified with them, and enshrined too in one of the tracks here, as well as the US title of the album. It still failed to break them in the USA, but that was really more a case of a nation getting used to something new, and in time Americans would rock out and punch the air to the likes of Metallica and Slayer; just right now though, they were still working up to it.

“Delivering the goods” gets us underway, and lays down a marker for the band's new sound as well as roaring their mission statement. Right out of the gate it's a fast, snarly rocker with great boogie guitar from Tipton and thumpalong drumming from Les Binks, who would leave after this album. Halford's voice is darker, deeper and more of a growl at this point, but you can hear the strength in it, being held in check. Great solo and a powerful drumroll bringing this to an end then we're into a real boogie with “Rock forever”. Okay, so the title is hardly original, but then Priest were at this point going for a more commercial line. I find the riff in this very close to “Don't believe a word” by Lizzy, but it's a good rocker for sure. “Evening star” starts off as if it's going to be a ballad but then it turns into a kind of Southern rocker and it's very catchy: I would have said they could have had their first hit single with this, but I don't think it happened.

Kicking the speed right back up then for the title track (if you're in the USA) as “Hell bent for leather” sounds like something Bruce Dickinson must have listened to before cutting the first Maiden album he was involved with. I could hear Di'anno singing this too to be honest. It's a simple song but really gets in there, and there's a warbling guitar solo from Downing that just punches your face in. Then they try to copy Queen with “Take on the world” and to be honest it's a bit of an embarrassment, but if you like metal excess meets power anthem, then it may be for you. Great marching drum beat and a shouted chorus; sure this went down great onstage. Good god, they even use a gong at the end!

“Burnin' up” rides in very slowly, almost forty seconds before it gets going on barking guitar and then just flies along, a real headbanger, menacing vocal from Halford, then the next track is only on the US version and is a Fleetwood Mac cover and is pretty rockin' to be fair. The “other” title track is a stomping, grinding snarler as “Killing machine” keeps things heavy. “Running wild” makes me feel that Maiden really ripped Priest off a lot; this is really like “The Prisoner”. The boys finally take a breather with the only ballad, as “Before the dawn” looks back to some of the material from the first two albums, very pastoral, very progressive rock in its way, nice acoustic guitar and a very melancholy feel to it. The album closes then on “Evil fantasies”, a big growling stomper of a rocker where Judas Priest let their darker side out, and maybe it's a bit of a middle finger to those who don't understand their lyrics. Good ending.

TRACKLISTING

1. Delivering the goods
2. Rock forever
3. Evening star
4. Hell bent for leather
5. Take on the world
6. Burnin' up
7. The green manalishi (with the two-pronged crown)
8. Killing machine
9. Running wild
10. Before the dawn
11. Evil fantasies

It's another good album, but so far, though I haven't necessarily hated anything I've heard, I have not been blown away either. I don't get the same feeling I did when I listened to Maiden, Saxon, Tank, The Tygers or Motorhead the first time. This certainly steps up the gears and unleashes Judas Priest into the world as a leaner, keener, killing machine indeed, but none of these are albums I'd be particularly bothered listening to again. Next!

Last edited by Trollheart; 10-10-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote