Music Banter - View Single Post - Canadian Politics & the election
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
This is the thing that bothers me about American politics. We've been so trained to throw in our allegiance to one party and demonize the other, that we eventually cease to think critically about their specific policies, making them basically one size fits all.

We need more pragmatism and less ideology. I might agree with many libertarian policies, but it's become almost like a religion, where the concept of personal liberty has become a moral, rather than political stance (i.e. government intervention is wrong because it's theft-by-taxation and quasi-totalitarianism, rather than because they just don't think it works).
We have the same problem in Canada, and I've noticed that most people on this forum come at politics from an ideological angle. If your left your good, if your right your bad ect.

In general, I loath political ideologies because they operate on religious principles, by offering people utopian visions of the future.

I think the real damage of ideologies though is that they create an intolerance for people who have different political opinions on issues.

I think that people should be able to stand up and freely express their political opinions without fear of being ostracized, provided that they are not extremely repugnant of course.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote