Music Banter - View Single Post - Have U2 dated more or less than these 80s bands?
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 04:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Francis View Post
i agree with you in this case, that icicle song was 80's as f*ck.

From those artist i would say the least dated for me would be U2 and The Smiths and the most dated would be REM and Guns n roses.

To me the smiths could still pass off as a new indie band, a song like "Please let me get what i want" would be a hit in any era and U2 for better or worse always comes up with a radio hit once in awhile and stays relevant.

REM and GNR to me though are pure 90's. every REM song ive heard still sounds like it belongs in a 90's college radio station and GNR always reminds of the hair metal of the late 80's early 90's.
I agree with this. To me GNR is the most dated, as hair metal pretty much ceased to exist after the Grunge avalanche.

Indie rock still lives on, and the Smiths could very well fit into the whole Interpol wave.

As for U2, I haven't really heard anything from them since the Beautiful Day album, I thought they should have continued to push their more experimental 90's sound.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote