Music Banter - View Single Post - Canadian Politics & the election
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
This is the thing that bothers me about American politics. We've been so trained to throw in our allegiance to one party and demonize the other, that we eventually cease to think critically about their specific policies, making them basically one size fits all.

We need more pragmatism and less ideology. I might agree with many libertarian policies, but it's become almost like a religion, where the concept of personal liberty has become a moral, rather than political stance (i.e. government intervention is wrong because it's theft-by-taxation and quasi-totalitarianism, rather than because they just don't think it works).
imo it hasn't 'become' a religion - libertarianism grew out of moral and economic philosophy. it has never been rooted in the pragmatic day to day concerns of what works best. except to the extent that an assumption is made that when left to its own devices, the free market will find whatever it is that works best.

it's an ideology that is based on philosophical concepts... people who would like to see it put into practice then apply that philosophy to their position on modern policy issues.

very similar to communism and anarchism in that regard. if you want to say it's a religion then i would suggest that it was born a religion.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote