Music Banter - View Single Post - The Torture Chamber
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default The Torture Chamber

Based on, obviously for those of you who have been following Metal Month since last year, "The Batlord's Torture Chamber", and in some ways also borrowing from his idea of that thread in which he requested avant-garde **** he would hate, this is expanding the idea a little further.

I must give Batty due credit for his idea to take this out of Metal Month and to the masses, though he did originally say I should keep it in my journal. I think this way is better, and will reach more people. Maybe.

Anyway, the idea is, albums are suggested that you know or hope the person they're suggested to will hate. That will probably be me most of the time, but anyone is welcome to sign up. The further I (let's just use me as the subject for now, but this would of course apply to anyone who signed up) get through an album the lower score you get. So if for instance I can't get past the first track you might get 90%, whereas if I get halfway through you get 50%, or whatever. I haven't quite worked out the details but you get the idea.

One album per member and I'm going to take TLP's rule onboard here, which is nobody can rec a second album to the same member until their first one has been dealt with. This should stop the kind of large backlogs I tend to get with "Love or Hate?"

Nobody needs to review** any albums. You can if you want to but it is absolutely not a requirement. However, if you take one on and make it past the first few tracks then you do need to prove that, by referring to those tracks in a way that proves you're not just saying you made it when in fact you chickened out after the first one.

Also, if you happen to rec your favourite album to someone who you expect to hate it, and they do, then don't get snippy if they crap all over it. You're taking the chance so accept the consequences. And of course, keep your sense of humour, as you'll need it.

I'l probably end up being the only one who volunteers, but if you want to sign up the sheet is below. Albums will be received on the usual FCFS basis, and only albums please --- no collections, discographies, or the like. Live albums are ok in this context. Preferably too, ensure it's one I haven't heard as otherwise it's a little pointless.

Albums, once submitted and accepted, need to be reviewed within seven days, otherwise two days after the deadline you lose and your score is 100%. The Torture Level will also be set at 100% for anyone who fails to review within this time. Torture Level is the indicator of how terrible you thought the album was, and is expressed in a percentage, from 10% for didn't bother me at all to 100% for please turn it off! Overdue albums will now be marked in dark red, as will the name of the member on the signup sheet.

In future, anyone who is recced an album here will get a short PM from me advising the details. If you wish NOT to accept it please PM back or post in the thread. If PMing, please contact me and not the person who recced it, as I need to keep a proper record. If no reply is received within three days, silence will be taken as assent and the album will be assigned to you.

Those who succeed in racking up the highest torture score will be immortalised on a league table later on.

I think that's it. All I can think of anyway. All genres/years accepted, and if you're signing up you might want to advise others what genres you dislike, though that's up to you. Acceptance of albums is at the sole discretion of the "victim".

SIGNUP SHEET
(This no longer indicates turns, merely who's agreed to be Tortured and who you can therefore target)
Trollheart
Frownland
Deadchannel
Grindy
The Batlord
Oriphiel
Ninetales
Travelling Alone
Violet
Goofle
Tristan Geoff
ContrivedNihilism
Plainview
Mondo Bungle
Terrapin Station

Current battles

Green for Win, Red for Lose. You as the Challenged lose unless you get right to the end of the album, however the extent of your loss or win is reflected in the score for the battle. As below. A Torture Level is also ascribed to each album, by the listener, and displayed beside the result of the battle.

Note: If you don't prove you've made it through the album you will be marked as Losing and your score will be shown as "Invalid". Anyone can say they listened to it, but we need evidence of your ordeal.

UPDATE: All battles not yet completed now show the date they were recced, the date they must be reviewed by at the latest, and will be colour-coded in DarkRed to show they are overdue. At this point, PMs will be sent to those responsible, advising them they have two days to post. If they do not, no further warning will be issued and their albums will be marked as Fails.

Trollheart vs Exo: No Pads, No Helmets ... Just Balls (A Simple Plan) Score: 0 TL 10%
Trollheart vs Grindy: Five Men Singing (Jaap Blonk & Koichi Makigami & Paul Dutton & Phil Minton & David Moss) Score: 0 TL 90%
Trollheart vs Oriphiel: Pebbles Vol 3 (Various) Score: 0 TL 40%
Trollheart vs Frownland: The Topography of the Lungs (Evan Parker) Score: 0 TL 95%
Trollheart vs The Batlord: Plague Mass (Diamanda Galas) TL 60%
Trollheart vs Grindy: Yuxo (Hans Reichel) Score: 0 TL 0%
Trollheart vs Frownland: Metal Machine Music (Lou Reed) Score: 0 TL 0%
Trollheart vs Violet: We Stitch These Wounds (Black Veil Brides) Score: 0 TL 0%
Trollheart vs The Batlord (Round 2): Warrior (Ke$ha) Score: 0 TL 10%
Trollheart vs Isbjorn: Pervertor (Lord Mantis): Score: 0 TL 0%
Trollheart vs The Batlord (Round 3): Tanz, Grosny, Tanz (Yacopsae) Rec date: Nov 12. Due date: Nov 28
Trollheart vs Mondo Bungle: 4 - AIDS-a-delic (Hanatrash) Rec Date: Nov 13. Due Date: Dec 5

Frownland vs The Batlord: The Great Milenko (Insane Clown Posse) Score: 0 TL 25%
Frownland vs Trollheart: New Jersey (Bon Jovi) Score: 0 TL 15%

Deadchannel vs The Batlord: Baby One More Time (Britney Spears) [B] Score: 0 TL 50%
Deadchannel vs Trollheart: Rockin' with the Rhythm (The Judds) Score: 0 TL 70%

Grindy vs Trollheart: Nether Lands (Dan Fogelberg) Score: 0 TL 55%
Grindy vs The Batlord: Gods of War (Manowar) Score: 0 TL 23%

The Batlord vs Trollheart: Caress of Steel (Rush) Score: 0
The Batlord vs Frownland: Lost Shadows: In Defence of the Soul (David Toop) Score: 100 TL 100%
The Batlordvs Grindy: Viva Koenji! (Koenjihyakkei) Score: 0 TL 100%
The Batlord vs Trollheart: Misplaced Childhood (Marillion) Score: 100 TL 100%
The Batlord vs Oriphiel: In a Metal Mood: No More Mister Nice Guy (Pat Boone) Rec date: Oct 16, Due date: Nov 28.
The Batlord vs Deadchannel: Trilogie de La Mort (Elaine Raidgue) Rec date: Oct 13 but I only realised now I'd completely missed it, so counting it as recced today. Due date: Dec 5
The Batlord vs Tristan Geoff: OFR (Nitro): Recced Nov 3. Due date: Dec 12

Oriphiel vs The Batlord: Miracles: The Christmas Album (Kenny G) Score: 0
Oriphiel vs Trollheart: The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle (Bruce Springsteen) Score: 0
Oriphiel vs Trollheart: The Road to Hell, Part 2 (Chris Rea) Score: 100 TL 100%

Ninetales vs Orpihiel: All Black and Hairy (The Gravedigger V) Score: 100 TL 100%
Ninetales vs The Batlord: Glory Unending (Final War) Score: 0 TL 100%
Ninetales vs Trollheart: Xanadu (ELO/Olivia Newton-John) Score: 100 TL 100%

Traveling Alone vs Oriphiel Here are (The Chesterfield Kings) Score: 0
Traveling Alone vs Trollheart: Heart in Motion (Amy Grant) Score: 0 TL 50%

Violet vs Trollheart: Hillbilly Deluxe (Dwight Yoakam) Score: 0 TL: 20%
Violet vs Grindy: Ejaculation Generater (Masonna) Score: 100 TL 100%

Goofle vs Trollheart: Dominion (Kamelot) Score: 0 TL 10%
Goofle vs Grindy: Beatle Barkers (The Woofers and Tweeters Ensemble) Score: 25 TL 15%
Goofle vs Trollheart (Round 2): Sailing to Philadelphia (Mark Knopfler) Rec Date: Nov 13. Due Date: Nov 20
Goofle vs Tristan Geoff: Fashionably Late (Falling in Reverse) Score: 0 TL 5%
Goofle vs The Batlord: Sadness Will Prevail (Today is the Day) Score: 0 TL 15%

Tristan Geoff vs The Batlord: Like a Virgin (Madonna) Score: 0 TL 10%
Tristan Geoff vs Grindy: Kuchinoha (Koichi Makigami) Score: 0 TL 0%
Tristan Geoff vs Trollheart: Coast to Coast (Westlife) Score: 0 TL 80%
Tristan Geoff vs The Batlord (Round 2): Unleashed (Toby Keith) Rec Date: Nov 23. Due Date: Nov 30

ContrivedNihilism vs Trollheart: Martika (Martika) Rec date: Nov 7, Due date: Nov 14.
ContrivedNihilism vs Goofle: Rain in England (Lil B) Rec Date: Nov 9, Due Date: Nov 21 (On hold as per request)

Plainview vs Trollheart: Time (Rod Stewart) Rec Date: Nov 9, Due Date: Nov 16

Terrapin Station vs Frownland: Mass Projection (Masayuki Takayanagi and Kaoru Abe) Score: 0 TL 100%

** Note: I'm using the word "review" to refer to any notes written about your album, your proof that you listened to it. I said reviews are not necessary, but many people are reviewing, and that's fine, but you don't have to. Anytime I used the word here though this is all it refers to.

Last edited by Trollheart; 11-24-2015 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Updated Battles and results
Trollheart is online now   Reply With Quote