Music Banter - View Single Post - Bands you LOVE to HATE!
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2005, 06:57 PM   #191 (permalink)
Merkaba
Whitewater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo
I agree with most of whats mentioned, but i dont get the U2 hate, their new stuff is nothing great, but it almost seems like their new stuff is all that their detractors are going by...Im even curious as to how much U2 you guys have actualy heard, at least from the one decade when they really mattered, the 80s.

You should at least give War and Joshua Tree a chance, you would be surprised, you might actualy like those albums.
Tis a good point boo boo. And Joshua Tree as far as I go with U2 is a very good album. I do not like their latest album. There's no spark to it. Vertigo was the one shimmering track, to me, and even that was slaughtered by being a single.

I think that it's the same with a lot of bands that a certain album deciphers how large a portion of people judge a band.

Metallica's true fan base probably didn't sway that much when St Anger came out. But the amount of people who came out of nowhere who were dead keen to jump to the Bash Metallica scene for that one album was insane. Critics mashed the album, 12 year old kids instantly had some weird idea that Metallica had been sh*t their whole career. But it is poor justification for the judgements people made about the band.

Same with Greenday. 70% (going with that 42% of all statistics being false thing ) of all Greenday haters haven't heard Dookie or the other albums. To be honest I'm one of those 70%. But I know I like the singles from their earlier albums when they get radioplay over here, and as much as possible, I try not to judge their better, earlier stuff based upon how bad I think American Idiot is.